It promises to be another busy summer for Liverpool. Last year saw a massive 100 million GBP spent on players as the Anfield club looked to build on their 2nd place finish the year before. Although I doubt spending will reach such heights this time round the reds have just confirmed their fourth new addition of the month with young defender Joe Gomez joining from Charlton Athletic.
At 18 he is a player full of promise. But for those fans that are unaware of what this precocious talent will bring his new club here are five things you should know to get you up to speed.
1. At the age of just 13, defender Joe Gomez was fast tracked through the ranks of Charlton Athletic and given his shot with the U18 set up.
2. The big burley defender made his full debut for the Addicks on the 12th of August 2014 in a 4-0 League Cup win over Colchester. He went on to make 24 appearances in all competitions
3. Gomez has represented England at U16, U17 and U19 level. He was a member of the side that won the 2014 U17 European Championships and was promptly named in UEFA’s Team of the Tournament.
4. The 2014/15 season ended in personal triumph, despite Charlton’s mid table finish, with Gomez picking up the clubs young player of the year award as well as a nomination for The Championship Apprentice of the Year.
5. Joe Gomez is seen by many as Charlton’s best graduate in recent years beating the likes of Jonjo Shelvey, Carl Jenkinson and Diego Poyet to the title. He is very physical, athletic, has great technique with the ball at his feet and shows great maturity and discipline for one so young.
Good luck Joe.